Posts

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Thankful for a Prophet's Voice

Hi There!!
Wowza! The last little bit has just been crazy for us! Lots of traveling! But it has been so worth it and I have learned a lot!! :)

Today I wanted to share some of my thoughts on one of my favourite people in the history of the world!
This is the Prophet Joseph Smith. 
My dear companion and I have been listening today to different talks about his life. It is amazing to know that such a man, as he, lived. A man so concerned with the welfare of his soul and humility enough to ask God where the truth was to be found. And then, the spiritual strength to endure through all that he was called to endure in his mortal life.
A portrait by Alvin Gittins of Joseph Smith in a white shirt and brown suit, holding sheets of paper, with his hand on his side.

As a prophet called of God some would think that his life would have been easier. On the contrary his life was anything but easy. Many times he was wrongly accused and imprisoned, beaten, tarred and feathered, and drive from his home. And through it all, although he sometimes struggled, he remained faithful to the truths that he had learned from his Father in Heaven.
One of my favourite verses of scripture is found in Doctrine and Covenants 122:7-8,
" And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?" 

These verses mean the world to me. I doubt that I will ever be called upon to suffer as Joseph did, or to even endure half of the things listed in verse seven. BUT through what I do go through I, have the promise that Christ knows exactly how I feel. He knows exactly what I am experiencing. And He knows exactly how to help. 
And the BEST part is, that this is not a promise just for me, or for some random person along the way. This is a promise for ALL of us as children of God.

I am incredibly grateful to the Prophet Joseph Smith and all that he taught us about moving forward with faith. Through trials and test we can truly feel our Saviour there with us. I know that this is true. I have felt it so many times in my life. I also know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. He was truly called to restore the many truths that had been lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment